Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pre-settlement Inspection

The painters finally came on Wed and Tyrrell's also. Our independent inspector came on Friday to check the issues which were found in the PCI and unfortunately he didn't think the rectification for the flashing was satisfactory so we are hoping EB will get this fixed early this week.

Not sure if this is going to happen now as Tyrrell's signed-off on it already....I told my SS that I wasn't comfortable in signing the PCI when this was still an issue so hoping he does the right thing and get it fixed.

There were other things outstanding from the PCI which didn't get rectified, the striker plate on the doors - so the doors don't close properly in the wc & spare bedroom; the pantry door painting didn't get fixed up; we still have the curved t-bar in the garage; no cover for the manhole; my laundry security door still not changed (EB installed the wrong colour) and there are things which apparently will happen at settlement such as the locks changed, the hot water system installed, mirrors installed - my SS is worried that this will get stolen if we get this done before settlement - but my aircon is in - I hope no-one steals this...

We also found out last week that we don't have gas mains on our street, we only found out last week!!! this is like we'll put taps in but won't check if you have water mains...not sure if we were meant to check this???? but surely if they are providing us with the gas hot water they would check first if this was ok???? I was surprised that our street didn't have gas so now we have to get bottles put on the corner side of our house - which won't look to flash.

I called Gabrielle kitchen last week to see if they can fix some of the scratches I found when we did our PCI, my SS kept saying that the cleaners will clean it but I could tell it wasn't dirty the paint was scratched and also they drilled holes in the back of the cupboard under the sink and to cover it they just put a laminate sticker over the top so I wanted them to put a false back to cover this....hoping they can come next week. I also want to ask them about my cutlery tray as I think someone swapped mine for their old ones...why should I get skanky old ones...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

EB did the same to us re the gas. At sign-up time, they advised that yes, there was gas in our street. But they ommitted to tell us until a few months ago, that it was 300mt down the other end & would cost us something like $15,000 to install!! I dont' think so! So because I wanted gas cooking, we now have bottled gas which works just as great.
You sure have had dodgy tradesmanship on your site hermyleen. It's the little details which determine quality work isn't it?
Remember, you don't have to sign off on everything. Just get the main things done & move in. A lot of the smaller detials can be fixed at maintenance time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hermyleen,
I have really enjoyed your blog for such a long time now. You have had to endure some hard times, but you are very close to the end. Having built with Eden Brae myself it can be trying. All I can suggest to you is make sure if things are not complete on settlement have it in writing so you have something to fall back on. But I'm with Southies you must so be wanting to get in & get on with it. I sometimes think this is Eden Brae's method at the end as you are over everything & just want it done with! Good luck with it & I look forward to seeing some finished pics of your lovely home. Thank you for your journey.

Ryan said...

I have been following your blog and find it very interesting. I am building with Eden Brae, I am at the contract signing stage. From what I have read, there has been quite a bit of incompetence on Eden Brae's behalf. I certainly hope that I don't come up against these kinds of issues and also hope that it is smooth sailing for you from here on in! I would like to ask you a question if thats ok! You wrote that you upgraded your kitchen from the standard laminate to a poly finish with stone benchtop. How much did Eden Brae charge you for this upgrade?

Thanks, I look forward to more posts from you, hopefully of you enjoying your new home!

hermyleen said...

Southies - I had a bit of a heart attack re the gas cooking as our cooktop is 'built in' the stone so I wouldn't have been able to change this, luckily it's compatible with the LPG gas, phew. Ryan - the upgrade to poly was not too much I think around 2k for all the cupboards but the caesarstone was a rip off this cost us about $7k for 40mm with side waterfall. Ask if you can get this done yourself later, I think it will be much cheaper.