Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hob It

Went to the house yesterday to look at my beautiful tiles to find this thing sticking out of the floor, my initial thought was WTF is that???? I asked my SS what's that black thing sticking out of the bathroom floor, his reply it's a hob. A what???

We've asked for a fully frameless shower screen in the ensuite and a fully frameless panel for the other bathroom.

I guess when I asked for this variation I assumed that when you ask for a 'FULLY FRAMELESS' shower screen you don't need a hob, what the &%^^%*k do you need a hob for???? I assumed the hob is there for when you want a frame to put it on.

So now we have one bathroom without a hob for the frameless panel and we have another bathroom with a hob for the frameless screen with a pivot door.
So how can you get one right and one wrong?????

Not sure if EB has noticed this but I'm having the same tiles for both bathrooms, I'm having the same benchtop and the same colours and the same basin at least this is what I've ordered (lets hope this is what they've ordered too)....so can you understand my dilemma I'm all for consistency and symmetry.

It's only a hob but I think they are hard to clean, scum builds up around it, the grouting looks crap after a while. If the tiles don't get done properly they look ugly.

Hence my variation for a fully frameless shower screen.

Now I have no idea WTF I'm getting. I don't think this should be allowed. I'm not allowed to make changes as they charge me an arm and a leg to do so yet they seem to be able to change what the *&^&*k they like????? Not happy Jan

My SS told me that it would be better to have a hob as he has one in his house and that water will run everywhere with a frameless shower screen; he can have that opinion but it's not for him to decide what I have and don't have in my house that is for me to decide...and I really don't like these changes that I've not signed for.

First the horrible stickers on the glazing of the bifold doors - apparently this is required by law, ok will have to live with that; they should say that when you get the upgrade hey by the way they've got these ugly stickers on them do you still want to spend $3k on that???

Edit: They also had the electrical box on garage side on the plan but actually installed it on the other side. So not as per the plan...

Now the hob, what next.

Another thing I'm not happy about, we've asked for the tiles to be 1.2m silly me assumed that if you asked for this that the waterproofing would be done at this level too, apparently not they still do the standard. I thought the whole point of going high was to make sure you reduce the incidence of water damage. I guess it wouldn't matter how high they go if they stuff up the floor and don't do this properly - how come no-one checks this???? to make sure this was done properly???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So why can't he rip out the hob? Is there a physical reason, he can't do so ? He's just making excuses, 'cause it's extra work for him to organise. If htat's what you paid for, that's what you should be getting. Insist on it H.

hermyleen said...

they can't just rip out the hob will need to redo the whole thing as the tiles will be out of line, they've already lost time as all the materials (sand etc) wasn't there on time and the tilers were hanging around doing nothing...nothing got sorted today just very frustrating. I'm trying to be as calm as possible about this and try and sort it out but they're not even looking at my problem.

Bernadette said...

Is all the grouting around done yet?

The tiler laid our tiles to the powder room incorrectly after been given specific instructions. We made them rip the tiles up and re-do although the grouting had not been done at this stage.

You should really persist if the hob is going to bother long term.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hermyleen
I have been following your blog for ages & love it. We started about the same time as you. We have just moved into our EB home. From my experience we requested minor variations, which ended up not happening.

Each time they have an excuse as to why it is better to stick with what they have already done. This is so it doesn't create extra work for them. Experts at talking themselves out of anything.

I was at a point I just wanted to get into my house & didn't want to hold the build up any longer. It stinks when you pay for your changes, and they can do as they please with no consequence. Stick to your guns. p.s. make a point to bubble wrap all your cupboards & benches, mine are scratched & marked from tradies not using their head.

hermyleen said...

Thanks for your comments and helpful hints. I just wish EB would just fess up when they've done something wrong and just fix it instead of having these battles. It's just a waste of time for both parties and a waste of resources on their part.

Anonymous said...

Hermyleen, what's happened with the hob ? Will they take it out ?

hermyleen said...

tell me what you think? I've posted the photos of bathroom? not sure I have the energy to fight them on this one???